The weather is finally turning cooler, and we wanted to provide some great tips to prepare your family for the upcoming winter season courtesy of the US Department of Energy.
- Take Advantage of Heat from the Sun – open shades to let the sunshine in.
- Cover Drafty Windows – heavy duty plastic film can be taped around leaky windows.
- Adjust the Temperature – Use a programmable thermostat to set back 10 degrees when you’re not home.
- Find and Seal Leaks – Caulking doors and windows, or hire a pro to seal the attic and basement.
- Maintain Your Heating Systems – Replace filters and perform seasonal maintenance.
- Reduce Heat Loss from the Fireplace – Keep dampers closed when not in use (for wood burning only)
- Lower Your Water Heating Costs – Set water to 120 degrees. Adjust mixing valves.
- Lower Your Holiday Lighting Costs – Use LEDs.
Click here to read the full article to learn more.
And, of course, if you want a professional to look things over, get a Home Energy Audit. ecobeco has performed over 3,000 energy audits since 2008, and we’ll help you learn how to enhance comfort and energy efficiency at the same time.