Customers who want to learn about how to improve the structural elements of the home to reduce energy use, improve comfort, safety and the overall performance of a home, read on to learn about our Comprehensive Home Energy Audit.
ecobeco is the leading energy auditing firm in Maryland, and has won many awards. ecobeco was awarded the 2009 Maryland Home Performance Contractor of the Year by the Maryland Energy Administration, 2010, 2012 and 2013 Pepco Energy Savings Award, and the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Angie’s List Super Service Award. ecobeco’s energy efficiency experts provide prioritized, actionable advice and oversee the implementation of your home improvements.
ecobeco offers Home Energy Audits in Maryland, Washington DC, and Northern Virginia. Maryland customers are eligible to receive incentives from their utility’s Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Programs. In Maryland, Energy Audits cost $100, and you can receive up to $4,300 for energy efficiency improvements. Ask your Energy Auditor for more information about utility incentives.
We answer the most common questions about our service below:
What is it?
The Comprehensive Home Energy Audit is performed to the specifications of the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program. Our certified raters put state-of-the-art scientific equipment to work on your home to analyze precise ventilation and safety measures, including advanced equipment that detects invisible gas emissions. With your list of recommendations in hand, you’ll be surprised how inexpensively you can save up to 40 percent on your energy bills while making your home much more comfortable.
What Happens During the Audit?
The Comprehensive Energy Audit is a whole home approach that includes several diagnostic tools. We also take safety very seriously.
- Air Leakage Test: Using a Blower Door Pressure device, we test the airflow of your home to identify air leaks and find ways to keep air conditioned and heated air inside your home longer.
- Detailed Visual Inspection with Infrared Camera Scan: We find hidden air leaks, insulation problems and moisture issues occurring behind walls, and explain how to fix them.
- Furnace and Water Heater Safety and Efficiency Test: We examine your major gas appliances for safety with a focus on toxic emissions.
- For Maryland Customers – Direct Install Measures: During your audit, Pepco, BGE, and Potomac Edison customers will receive energy-saving and water-saving measures at no additional cost. When you make your appointment, our pre-audit questionnaire will help you select the products you want.
What Happens After the Audit?
- You receive a Customized Report with Energy Savings Estimates, Photos and a Prioritized List of Recommended Improvements and a Proposal showing costs to implement the recommendations. In this easy-to-understand report, we prioritize your improvement options to meet your goals.
- You receive an in house visit with your Auditor to discuss the findings listed in the report and the proposal.
- We manage the scheduling and installation of your home improvements performed by one of our highly vetted subcontractors.
- We perform a FREE Follow Up Safety and Performance Test: After you’ve had the work done, we come back for FREE to re-measure your home’s performance.
How Long Does It Take?
This comprehensive service assessment can take between 3 and 4 hours to complete depending on home size and number of HVAC systems.
Who Should Buy This?
The Comprehensive Home Energy Audit is most appropriate for:
- People who want to reduce their energy consumption: High Energy Bills is the primary motivation for many customers. The Energy Audit educates you on both mechanical and behavioral measures that can save you money. Homeowners in Maryland who follow the advice save up to 40% on their energy bills.
- People who want to improve the comfort of their home: The Audit provides solutions for seasonal room discomfort, uneven room heating/cooling, drafts, air quality concerns, humidity issues, mold/mildew concerns, and musty odors.
- People concerned about Appliance Safety and Efficiency: If you are trying to figure out whether your major appliances are working safely and efficiently, or which appliances are near the end of their useful lives, this highly technical energy audit provides a unique and insightful view towards helping you make the right replacement decisions. We’ll help you understand whether changing an appliance today is really worth the money.
- People concerned about Air Exchange Rates for a Healthy Interior: If you are looking for a precise measurement of air exchange. Too much air exchange means much of your air conditioned or heated air is escaping to the outdoors. To little air exchange leads to a buildup of gases that could make you feel sick. The Home Energy Audit ensures your air exchange is just right, and you should have your Air Exchange Rates checked after any work on your home that impacts air flow.
- Remodelers: If you are thinking about remodeling your home and want to take advantage of the opportunity to make energy efficient alterations, this whole home evaluation is technical and educational and will help you figure out which solutions are most worth incremental investment.
When Do I Get Results?
You’ll have the high level findings communicated verbally before the auditor leaves your home. The Home Energy Audit savings estimates relies on complex energy modeling that takes a few weeks to complete. We try to provide results within 2 weeks of your visit to ensure that you don’t lose your enthusiasm. You will receive a comprehensive report by e-mail and/or US Mail and a in house visit from your auditor to review the results with you.
What Makes ecobeco Different From Everybody Else?
Every respectable energy auditor does a blower door test and gives you a report with recommended energy retrofits. But ecobeco goes above and beyond this standard, and all of these eight value-added services are included in our standard pricing:
- We use an infrared camera on every job to identify sources of air leakage that are invisible to the eye and/or behind walls and/or located in inaccessible parts of the home.
- If you have gas, oil, or propane-powered HVAC or water heater appliances, we test them for efficiency and safety to ensure your home doesn’t have dangerous levels of carbon monoxide or combustion gases.
- We run every job through the Maryland Energy Administration’s BEACON software that models how much energy you will save when you retrofit your home.
- We prioritize your energy retrofit options to best meet your goals and budget.
- We tell you about utility and tax incentives that lower your costs of getting work done and show you where to get the forms you need.
- We provide you with a payback period and return on investment so you can compare this investment against leaving your money in the bank.
- We come back to your home after the retrofits are complete to validate that you got what you paid for by re-running our blower door and combustion safety tests.
- We act as your general contractor when you make improvements in the home, using our best-in-class, vetted sub-contractors.
How Much Does It Cost?
ecobeco Home Energy Audits cost $100 in Maryland after utility-sponsored discounts. Additionally, Maryland homeowners receive several simple measures at no additional cost, to help you start saving energy immediately. This may include CFL bulbs, an LED bulb, water heater tank wrap, water heater pipe wrap(s), ShowerStart™ showerhead adapters, efficient-flow showerheads, faucet aerators, and advanced power strips. Maryland customers are also entitled to receive energy rebates up to $4,300 per home from their utility’s Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program for making energy efficiency improvements. Ask us how to get these rebates. In Virginia and the District of Columbia, audits cost $400.
Who Can Help Me Get Work Done? What Kinds Of Work Do You do?
We can. ecobeco is licensed to perform home improvements in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Learn more about our Energy Upgrade Services by clicking here.
Who Performs It?
Meet our certified Home Performance with ENERGY STAR energy auditors by clicking here. All of our auditors are certified Building Analysts by the Building Performance Institute.
What Do Customers Say About ecobeco?
Click here to check out testimonials from customers just like you.